The aim of this thread is to share good resources, tips and warnings about bad resources.
- The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (SICP) - SICP - SICP is a great introduction to computer science. It teaches good practice and problem solving techniques. It has many good examples and exercises all of which are in Scheme.
- From NAND to Tertris - nand2tetris - Goes through the whole process of building a computer system, from hardware to software
- Learn You a Haskell for Great Good - Learn You a Haskell - An introduction to Haskell and functional programming.
- LibGen - LibGen - A motherload of technical manuals, textbooks and academic texts
Some books that I recommend:
- Hacking: the Art of Exploitation - Teaches everything from basic C to advanced exploitation techniques in a fast-paced but easy to read style that warrants a number of readings. Finally you can justify the Guy Fawkes mask in your closet.
- Introduction to Algorithms - This will teach you how to design and implement algorithms
- The C Programming Language - A complete start to finish guide for C
- The Unix Programming Environment- A comprehensive guide to the way UNIX (the OS that OSX, Linux and BSD are based off) works and how to fashion programs which utilise the environment efficiently.
- Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming - An introduction to AI programming and an *very* fast paced intro to Common Lisp
- Codecademy - These tutorials merely teach the syntax of a certain language and don't give any answers as to why and why not. The marking system is very pedantic and allows barely any room for experimentation.
- Learn x in y (unit of time) - Really just designed for people with no patience at all. These are shit m8 let me tell you now.
- x for Dummies - If you are a dummy you will never be a good programmer. That said you probably aren't a dummy, even if you think you are.
- Learn x the Hard Way - "THE HARD WAY" is basically just the authors weird close minded view on what he is teaching. Basically all of the bad traits of x in y but with some cunt's (pardon) sour attitude included as a bonus.
Unfortunately people who read SICP often tun into autistic wizards. You have been warned. 'preciate ya boi!