Welcome to the Eternal League of Nefia.
What is it?
A single-player independant freeware open-worldÂ roguelike-JRPG by Japanese developer Noa, based on other roguelikes such as ADOM and Angband. It draws away from strict gameplay of most roguelikes being more forgiving, while adding in JRPG-type designs such as open-world sandbox exploration and non-permadeath. It references and parodies certain characters and items from other series and stories, such as Bioshock, Gundam, Pokemon, Final Fantasy, and so on. As of right now, in Elona+ there are three continents that you can explore, and it's currently being worked on with updates every 1-2 months.
What can you do?
- Embark on quests to prevent assassinations
- Become a 14-handed mutant
- Capture or harvest little sisters
- Slay the gods
- Own a mansion full of maids
- Become impregnated, and give birth to certain Aliens
- Suddenly change from a 24 year old man to a 7 year old girl
- Cause the Armageddon
- Open pocket dimensions
- Get married to a wife, an Android, a God, etc.
- Capture monsters via Pokeballs Monster Balls
- Evolve your pets and allies
- Worship a musclehead, a ditz, a tsundere, a dominatrix and so much more as your god
- Stop time and explode things with your punches
- Play blackjack and gachapon
- Become a shopkeeper, a breeder, or a rancher
- Get drunk and party with kings and adventurers
- Wield a bow, a claymore, a shotgun, and more
And that's not even scratching the surface!
Where can I download it?
You can get the original version at http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html.
For the expansion, you can download it at http://wikiwiki.jp/elonaplus/#q11e8183.
For more information, check out the wikia onÂ http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona%2B.
The difference between the two is that the second one, Elona+, adds a lot more post-game content and has no specific ending so you can keep on playing endlessly, while the original does have an ending in which you can "beat" the game, making it more like a true roguelike than it's successor. Apart from that, there's not much difference to playing the original versus the expansion, so it's recommended to play Elona+. You do not have to download the original Elona to play Elona+. Both versions are translated, just choose either English or Japanese when starting the game.
I haven't played this game in a while, but the recent talk of roguelikes in Slack made me remember this game and how much I've played it. I've spent well over 1000 hours playing this game just from the sheer amount of content it has from the beginning to "post-game" content (which I'm hesitant to call it, since updates tend to push even more content past that. There exist mods that can change the sprites of both monsters and your sprite, the music, and even the UI, if you're willing to find them.
Mods and Customization
How to change portraits
JP site for custom portraits
More customization for portraits and sprites